Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Jesus is Not my Homeboy


Don't anyone get me wrong. As a tennager, I owned every Fear Not shirt there was. Every event I attended with my youth group gave me a T-shirt with a catchy saying designed to make someone ask a question. All that being said, I have absolutely no problem with people asking questions. What I do have a problem with is a saying that brings Jesus done to such a low level.

"Jesus is my homeboy," basically takes Jesus and makes him out like he is just another guy. Someone that I hang out with and play cards with. The reality is that Jesus is God. He is not someone I hang out with. He is someone I worship and adore.

I guess what I'm getting at is that a saying like this does not give God the respect that he deserves. He is the creator of the universe and deserves nothing short of our worship and praise. When I finally see Jesus, I won't give him a high five. I will fall on my face before him.